1, Cat Hill, East Barnet, EN4 8HG Tel. 020 8440 5742  


The rabies vaccination is noted in the Animal Health Certificate (AHC). If your pet has an up-to-date rabies vaccination history, it will not need a repeat rabies vaccination before each AHC is issued. The Rabies vaccination used at the practice is licenced for 3 years for dogs and cats from the date of vaccination.


Tapeworm treatment is now required for dogs  prior to outbound travel to Republic of Ireland, Northerm Ireland, Finland, Norway or Malta. Treatment must be given to your dog 1 – 5 days prior to arriving in any of these countries.

This is a new regulation.

Tapeworm treatment is a requirement that all DOGS re-entering the UK from the EU and must be carried out between 24 and 120 hours prior to returning to the UK. You must get a veterinary surgeon in your holiday destination to carry out this treatment (and complete the appropriate section in the AHC certificate {clause II.4}) ). Please note this is NOT a requirement for re-entry into the UK from the Republic of Ireland or Northern Ireland. It is also currently not required on re-entry direct from Malta, Finland or Norway.The requirement for tapeworm treatment DOES NOT apply to CATS.

For Day and Weekend Trips, your dog must still be treated for tapeworms between 24 and 120 hours prior to its return to the UK - therefore it must be treated BEFORE you travel. It is recommended that this treatment is repeated within 28 days of your return.


The transport company that you use to bring your pet into the UK may require you to provide a veterinary statement that it is healthy and fit to travel before they will allow it to board.

You should check with your transport company whether or not this statement is required.

Check the routes before you travel. You must travel using approved routes. Your pet’s documents and microchip will be checked when entering GB.

You do not have to travel on an approved route if you travel to GB from:

          other UK countries

          the Channel Islands

          the Isle of Man

          the Republic of Ireland


Not all countries are on the AHC passport list. if you take your pet to these non-listed countries there will be further requirements, such as a blood test for Rabies antibodies after vaccination followed by a delay of three months, before re-entry into the UK is permitted. You will also need to obtain a Ministry-issued Export Certificate before travelling to these countries. Please check the website https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pet-travel-to-europe-from-1-january-2021 to check that your destination is covered by the PETs regulations. The AHC is valid in all countries within the EU.

Certain countries within the EU have additional requirements for entry of Pets travelling from the UK (such as Sweden and Malta). Please check the recommended websites or the PETS helpline for further information.


Please contact the practice with details of your proposed journey and we can advise you whether further documentation is required. Your contact at the practice is Ralph Bailey who is an Official Veterinarian (OV). We can also advise you about veterinary treatments that may be required to protect your pets from specific disease they may encounter outside the UK.

Pet Travel Scheme Helpline

Pet Travel Section

Animal and Plant Health Agency

Hadrian House

Wavell Drive

Rosehill Industrial Estate




tel: 03702411710


There are a number of diseases that are present on the continent that we do not have in the UK at present. The obvious one is Rabies, against which your pet will have been vaccinated. However, there are four other diseases about which you should be aware, so that you can take action to protect your pet. Please check the list at the end of this note to see which countries are affected.


This is caused by a parasite which is transmitted by the bite of a sandfly (a mosquito-like fly). It may take many years after the bite for the symptoms to appear.

The main symptoms are; weight loss, lethargy, ulcers on the skin, baldness and crusting around the eyes, sore joints, diarrhoea, nose bleeds and in severe cases liver or kidney failure.

The condition is most common in dogs but may occur in cats. It is possible for humans to become infected from a sandfly bite   the disease usually affects people with a poor immune response   such as children, patients on certain drugs or those with HIV infection.

More information about Pet Travel to Europe can be obtained from;


Pet Travel

Travelling to the EU or NI with your pet after 1st January 2021

A current EU pet passport issued in GB will not be valid for travel to the EU or NI from 1 January 2021.

Before your dog, cat or ferret can travel to the EU or NI for the first time after 1 January 2021, you will need to take the following steps. These steps are similar to the current process for taking your pet to the EU, but you’ll need an Animal Health Certificate (AHC) instead of a pet passport.

     1     You must have your dog, cat or ferret microchipped.

     2     Vaccinate your dog, cat or ferret against rabies – your pet must be at least 12 weeks old before it can be vaccinated.

     3     Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel.

     4     Visit your vet to get an AHC for your pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.

Getting an Animal Health Certificate (AHC)

You must also take your pet to your vet no more than 10 days before travel to get an AHC. The AHC needs to be signed by an official vet. Check with your vet that they can issue AHCs for pets.

You must take proof of:

          your pet’s microchipping date

          your pet’s vaccination history

Your pet’s AHC will be valid for:

          10 days after the date of issue for entry into the EU or NI

          onward travel within the EU or NI for 4 months after the date of issue

          re-entry to GB for 4 months after the date of issue

Each of the above diseases is transmitted by the bite of an insect or tick. The most important part of protecting your pet from these diseases is to minimise exposure to these biting flies/ticks.

Sandflies and mosquitoes are most active after dusk and at night. Ideally pets should sleep indoors at night and be kept inside during the evening.

Sandfly and mosquito activity is seasonal in most countries they are most active in Summer and Autumn   avoiding these seasons will reduce exposure to these diseases.

Using an insecticide on your pet that will repel mosquitoes and sandflies is essential.


The parasite Babesia canis is transmitted by the bite of a tick. The disease affects dogs, although some cases of the   disease have been seen in cats in Spain. Humans are not affected. The disease has the following symptoms;  fever, lethargy, pale gums, jaundice (yellow gums), blood in the urine and vomiting.


Erlichia canis is another parasite that is transmitted by the bite of a tick. The disease may affect both dogs and cats. Humans are not affected.  

Clinical signs of Erlichiosis are; fever, lethargy, pale gums, weight loss, swollen glands (lymph nodes), swollen abdomen and blood in the urine or stool or from the mouth or nose.


The heartworm is transmitted by the bite of a mosquito.

The disease principally affects dogs but cats may also be infected. Humans may be infected by the bite of a mosquito but this rarely leads to medical problems.

In the dog the parasite develops in the bloodstream and the adult worm eventually becomes lodged in the heart or in the larger blood vessels   this may lead to a type of heart failure. The dog may have a cough and heavy breathing, weight loss, inability to exercise and pale gums.

Prophylactic treatment for heartworm is advisable if you are travelling to areas where the disease is present. This treatment should be given within one month after the start of the risk period. For most people, where your holiday will last less than one month, your pet can be treated for heartworm when you return to the UK.

** There is now a vaccine available in the UK for protection against Leishmanisasis **

In places where all of these diseases are present, we would recommend the following regime;

Treat the pet prior to travelling or immediately on arrival with

Advantix spot-on, and repeat every 2 weeks during your stay.

(Please note; Advantix can be used concurrently with

Advocate Spot on )

Consider the use of a Serestro collar as a back-up to kill ticks and to repel sandflies .

Treat your pet with Milbemax worming tablets within one month after your holiday or once per month while you are away to treat for heartworm or continue to use Advocate spot-on as usual.

Please note, in addition to the above measures, your dog will require tapeworm treatment between 24 and 120 hours PRIOR to its return to the UK. This will need to be documented in the AHC by a suitably qualified

Where possible, we would always suggest that you discuss the local situation with regards to the above diseases, with the local vet in that area. You will need to contact them anyway to arrange tick and tapeworm treatment prior to your return to the UK.

If you require further advice please contact Ralph Bailey at the practice.

For information regarding the areas affected by each of the diseases please consult the website; http://www.esccap.org/travelling-pets-advice/

Pet Travel to Europe from 1 January 2021



The current EU Pets Passport issued in Great Britain will no longer be valid for travel to 

the EU ( including the Republic of Ireland ) or to Northern Ireland.

Travel from Great Britain ( mainland UK ) to the EU will now require an Animal Health Certificate to be issued by a suitably qualified Veterinary Surgeon.

This includes Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland. The AHC is valid for 10 days after the date of issue for outward travel and is valid for onward travel within the EU and for return to GB (mainland UK)  for 4 months after the date of issue.

A new AHC is required for each trip abroad from Great Britain.

For full details please go to;


Please call the surgery on 0208 440 5742 if you have any further queries regarding Pets Passports.

Travelling to Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta

If you are travelling with your dog directly to Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta, it must have treatment against tapeworm (Echinococcus multilocularis). Your dog will need to receive treatment 1 to 5 days before arriving in any of these countries ( ie. it must be treated in the  the UK before leaving).

Your vet must enter full details on the AHC following treatment.

This is a new regulation.

Repeat trips to the EU or NI

Your pet will need a new AHC for each trip to the EU or NI.

To get a new AHC, you must take your pet to an official vet no more than 10 days before you travel. 

If your pet has an up-to-date rabies vaccination history, it will not need a repeat rabies vaccination before travelling again.

You’ll need tapeworm treatment if you’re travelling to Finland, Republic of Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta.

Arriving in the EU or NI

On arrival in the EU or NI, pet owners travelling with pets will need to enter through a designated travellers point of entry (TPE).

At the TPE, you may need to present your pet’s original AHC along with proof of:

          your pet’s microchip

          rabies vaccination

          tapeworm treatment (if required)

Check the rules of the country you’re travelling to for any additional restrictions or requirements before you travel.

Travelling to NI with your pet

The UK government recognises that pet owners and assistance dog users will need time to adjust to these changes. It’s working with the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs (DAERA) on an enforcement approach that takes these challenges into account. For further information read the pet travel guidance from DAERA.

This approach will be implemented in a way that supports pet owners and assistance dog users while the government seeks a permanent solution.

NI-based pets and assistance dogs returning to NI from GB can use an NI issued EU Pet Passport to re-enter NI and will not need an animal health certificate. You should contact DAERA or your vet for further information on entrance requirements for returning to NI.

Returning to Great Britain from the EU

There will be no change to the current health preparations for pets entering GB from 1 January 2021.

Your pet must have one of the following documents when returning to GB from the EU:

          an EU pet passport (issued in the EU, or in GB before 1 January 2021), or a pet passport from a Part 1 listed third country ( ie. urrent UK issued Pets passports can still be used for re-entry into GB from the EU, however an AHC will be required for Outbound travel from GB))

          the AHC issued in GB used to travel to the EU – which you can use up to 4 months after it was issued

          a GB pet health certificate (for travel into GB only)

Your pet will not need this documentation if it’s entering GB from:


          the Channel Islands

          the Isle of Man

Check the routes before you travel You must travel using approved routes. Your pet’s documents and microchip will be checked when entering GB.

Owners of assistance dogs returning from the EU do not have to travel on approved routes. You must notify the point of entry in advance that you’re travelling with an assistance dog to ensure the appropriate checks are done.

You do not have to travel on an approved route if you travel to GB from:

          other UK countries

          the Channel Islands

          the Isle of Man

          the Republic of Ireland